Our ApproachWe bring strategic conservation expertise to communities, government leaders, and industry across the country to achieve the multiple benefits from investing in clean air, clean water, habitat, climate resilience and adaptation, and community livability.
We help communities identify their conservation priorities and goals, recommend high impact, cost effective implementation strategies, and help build the capacity of communities to fulfill their conservation visions.
Through the use of maps, GIS modeling, and valuing the economic benefit of ecosystem services, we strategically evaluate areas for land protection and stewardship as well as identify opportunities to integrate planning for green and gray infrastructure.
Our projects illustrate our strategic focus on the following themes:
- We are an active partner in many ongoing urban conservation initiatives including the Urban Federal Waters Partnership, the Metropolitan Greenspaces Alliance, the One Water Leadership Summit, and the Ecological Places in Cities initiative. Browse the list of projects below to see our range of initiatives where we collaborate with regional coalitions, Metropolitan Planning Organizations, and land trusts.
- We offer a best-in-class planning solution to create comprehensive green infrastructure plans across multiple scales, from small watersheds to multi-state regions. Browse the list of projects below to see our greenspace plans for large metropolitan areas, individual cities and counties, and regions where land trusts and state agencies focus their strategic conservation planning work.
- We offer asset mapping and analysis of food systems to better understand how working farms fit within a region’s green infrastructure. Browse the list of projects below to see how we strategically identify farmland protection priorities and develop strategies for implementation.
- We offer agencies and industry with best-in-class solutions to achieve their mitigation and environmental stewardship goals. Browse the list of projects below to see how we help utilities, transportation agencies, and other groups in need of species/habitat mitigation identify and protect important green infrastructure resources while allowing grey infrastructure investments to move forward.
- We offer a variety of solutions for climate mitigation, adaptation, and implementation of projects that protect water resources and make communities more resilient. Browse the list of projects below to see the wide array of potential solutions for your community.
We provide custom tailored tools to help solve complex planning problems:
- Green infrastructure networks / landscape design
- Regional conservation visions
- Ecosystem service valuation
- Rapid open space assessments
- Strategic conservation guidance
- Implementation / acquisition targeting
- GIS decision support tools and map services
- Optimization models for cost effective decision making
- Structured decision tools using the Logic Scoring of Preference method