Growing A Grassroots Health Movement
Photo by WCU Project Discovery.
At A Glance
- Focus on assisting grassroots organizations in 31 northeastern North Carolina counties that have the highest poverty, food insecurity and disease indicators in the state.
- These counties have the highest poverty, food insecurity and disease indicators in the state.
- The Fund's Resourceful Communities Program has a unique triple bottom line approach that makes it uniquely capable of assisting community groups.
- Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust is supporting this initiative.
In the 31 counties covered in this initiative:
- 33% of adults are “obese”
- 60,000 children live in poverty
- Counties average only 4 recreational facilities, with 13 of 24 counties having 2 or fewer
Despite abundant natural resources, many people in northeastern North Carolina lack access to fresh food and opportunities to pursue an active lifestyle. Our Resourceful Communities program is working with local groups to make a difference.
Many communities in the region continue to experience a dramatic rise in chronic health problems, hunger and poverty. Resourceful Communities’ efforts will strengthen community organizations’ capacity to address these issues.
RCP’s Efforts: Grants And Technical Assistance
With support from the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust, Resourceful Communities is helping grassroots organizations plan, manage and carry out programs to improve access to local food and active living.
Small Grants: Resourceful Communities provides small grants to support community projects such as roadside markets, trail building, nutrition programming, eco-tourism efforts, youth training programs and more.
Build Capacity: We also provide free training and technical assistance to help grassroots organizations build capacity so they can deliver services to those who need them most.
Help Connect: We help grassroot organizations connect with resources and each other by fostering introductions, nurturing partnerships and building understanding.
Resourceful Communities is uniquely positioned to help organizations in North Carolina because of our unique triple bottom line approach, which strengthens community resilience and self-sufficiency.