Civil War Battlefield Conservation: Tennessee
Shiloh Civil War Battlefield. Photo by Allen Gathman/Flickr
In partnership with the Franklin and Williamson County Heritage Foundation, the Fund protected nearly 60 acres on Roper’s Knob, the beautiful wooded hill that was a signal station during the war.
On April 6, 1862, General Albert Sidney Johnston surprised Major General Ulysses S. Grant’s outnumbered forces near Shiloh Church and pushed them north, but Grant held his supply base at Pittsburg Landing. Grant’s reinforcements arrived, enabling him to surprise General P. G. T. Beauregard, in command after Johnston was mortally wounded, with a counterattack the next morning. The Confederates retreated toward Corinth. The casualties in the two-day battle totaled 23,746.
The Fund negotiated the purchase of the 125-acre Glover farm, a high point of the Confederate advance. Major grants from the Fund’s partners, including the Gilder Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. John L. Nau, III and the Civil War Society, made possible the purchase and donation of the historic land to the park.