Links to our research articles follow. Due to copyright restrictions, we cannot provide full text content for many of the articles on our website. If you are interested in our work and would like to have a full copy of a paper or discuss the research in more depth with a scientist, please contact any Freshwater Institute staff member listed as author or co-author. We would be pleased to hear from you.
A full listing of our research articles, abstracts, trade press publications and project reports is available as a PDF download: FI PubsList-March2013
Current Research Publications:
- Comparing the effects of feeding a grain- or a ﬁsh meal-based diet on water quality, waste production, and rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss performance within low exchange water recirculating aquaculture systems.
Authors: Davidson, J; Good, C; Barrows, F.T.; Welsh, C; Kenney, P.B.; Summerfelt, S.T.
Published in Aquacultural Engineering 52, 45-57
- Mortality associated with Weissellosis (Weissella sp.) in a USA farmed rainbow trout: Potential for control by vaccination.
Authors: Welsh, T.J., Good, C.M.
Published in Aquaculture 388-391, 122-127
- Impact of depuration of earthy-musty off-flavors on fillet quality of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, cultured in a recirculating aquaculture system.
Authors: Burr, G.S., Wolters, W.R., Schrader, K.K., Summerfelt, S.T
Published in Aquacultural Engineering 50:1, 28-36.
Authors: Pederson, L.F., Good, C.M., Pederson, P.B.
Published in North American Journal of Aquaculture 74, 100-106.
- The effects of ozone and water exchange rates on water quality and rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss performance in replicated water reciriculating systems.
Authors: Davidson, J., Good, C., Welsh, C., Summerfelt, S.T.
Published in Aquacultural Engineering, 44, 80-96.
- Abnormal swimming behavior and increased deformities in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss cultured in low exchange water recirculating aquaculture systems.
Authors: Davidson, J., Good, C., Welsh, C., Summerfelt, S.T. Published in Aquacultural Engineering, 45, 109-117.
- The effects of ozonation on performance, health, and welfare of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss in low-exchange water reciriculating aquaculture systems.
Authors: Good, C., Davidson, J., Welsh, C., Snekvik, K. and Summerfelt, S.T. Published in Aquacultural Engineering, 44, 97-102.
- Assessing the suitability of a partial water reuse system for rearing juvenile Chinook salmon for stocking in Washington State.
Authors: Good, C., Summerfelt, S.T., Snekvik, K., Adams, I., Dilly, S. Published in Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, 23:2, 55-61.
- The effects of carbon dioxide on performance and histopathology of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss in water recirculation aquaculture systems.
Authors: Christopher Good, John Davidson, Carla Welsh, Kevin Snekvik, Steven Summerfelt.
Published in Aquacultural Engineering. 42:2 (2010) 51–56.
- Distribution of Off-Flavor Compounds and Isolation of Geosmin-Producing Bacteria in a Series of Water Recirculating Systems for Rainbow Trout Culture.
Authors: Kevin K. Schrader and Steven T. Summerfelt.
Published in North American Journal of Aquaculture. 72:1,1–9.
- Evaluation of ozonation on levels of the off-flavor compounds geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol in water and rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss from recirculating aquaculture systems.
Authors: Schrader, K.K., Davidson, J.W., Summerfelt, S.T.
Published in Aquacultural Engineering. 43:2, 46–50.
- Evaluation of a membrane biological reactor for reclaiming water, alkalinity, salts, phosphorus, and protein contained in a high-strength aquacultural wastewater
Authors: Sharrer, M.J., Rishel, K., Summerfelt, S.T.
Published in Bioresource Technology 101:12, 4322-4330.
- The cost and effectiveness of solids thickening technologies for treating backwash and recovering nutrients from intensive aquaculture systems.
Authors: Sharrer, M.J., Rishel, K., Taylor, A., Vinci, B.J., Summerfelt, S.T.
Published in Bioresource Technology 101:, 6630-6641