Changing Times At Camden Farm

Camden-Farm-old-gas-pump-Chita-Middleton-TCF-645x430

Times have changed since this gas pump was installed at Camden Farm—and since the establishment of Fort A.P. Hill in 1941. Started as a place to train troops for World War II, Fort A.P. Hill continues to train soldiers, but over the years urban and suburban development have posed a challenge to this installation and others nationwide. Incompatible land uses—primarily residential developments—close to an installation’s boundary can limit training and other military operations.

Photo by Chita Middleton/The Conservation Fund